Setting Up Service Account in Google
1. In the Google console go to IAM & admin.
2. Go to Service accounts. Click Create Service Account.
3. Enter the name for the service account, e.g. "cloudaware-service-account". Click Create.
4. Specify the Project role as 'Viewer'. Click Continue.
5. Click +Create key. Select 'JSON' → Create.
6. A .json file will be automatically downloaded by the browser.
Creating Custom Role (optional)
A custom role is necessary if you are going to use backups and labels.
1. Go to IAM & admin, select "Roles" and click +Create Role.
Add the name and the description of the custom role. Set 'Role launch stage' as General Availability and click + Add Permissions.
2. Select the following permissions:
3. Assign the custom role to the service account you have just created (IAM & admin → IAM → select the service account).
Enabling Google APIs on Google Project
1. Go to APIs & Services.
2. Click +ENABLE APIS AND SERVICES.
3. Using the search bar, locate and enable:
Compute Engine API
Identity and Access Management (IAM) API
Cloud Resource Manager API
Kubernetes Engine API (learn more)
Cloud Billing API (learn more)
Google Organizations (optional)
If you use Google Organizations, assign the role 'Viewer' to the service account for Cloudaware to consume your Organization data. Assign the following roles to the service account created earlier:
Organization Role Viewer
Organization Policy Viewer
Assign the 'Project Viewer' role on the organization level for Cloudaware to automatically add and collect Google Projects within a Google Organization:
Google Billing Accounts (optional)
For Cloudaware to be able to collect the list of Google Billing Accounts, assign the role 'Billing Account Viewer' to the service account* that has access to billing accounts in question.
1. Go to Billing.
2. Go to the tab 'My Billing Accounts'. Check the box near the billing account. Click Add Principal on the right to manage permissions.
3. Select the service account* and assign the role Billing Account Viewer → Save.
*Note that the service account should be added to Cloudaware.
Adding Service Account to Cloudaware
1. Log in to your Cloudaware account and select Admin.
2. Select ''Google Service Accounts & Projects'' and click +Add.
3. Fill in the Service Account Name and click Load credentials from file to upload credentials from the file you have downloaded before (see p. 1.6).
4. Check the tab 'Service Accounts'. The green light in 'Status' means that your Google Service Account has been added successfully. The blue light means that the integration is ok but Cloudaware doesn’t have access to your Google Resource Manager. If there is a red light, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Go to the tab 'Projects'. Assign the service account you added to a project or any object higher in the hierarchy to define the level on which your Google Resource Manager objects will be collected by Cloudaware. Check Managing Google Projects & Service Accounts for more details.